How do you feel about people who text,tweet,check their email, etc. while driving?
If it doesn’t matter to you imagine that you were killed by some stupid person that was doing these things on their phone while driving! I’m sick of hearing about innocent people dying because someone was doing something that wasn’t even important on their phone. It can wait.
I really hope that they ban this because nothing is that important.
Here are a few statistics on texting while driving :
2011 Distracted Driving Statistics
Most adults who drive admit to engaging in distracted driving behaviors, according to a Health Day poll from November 10-14, 2011. More than 2,800 American adults responded to the poll. Results showed the following statistics:
- Approximately 86% of drivers said they ate or drank while driving at some point, and 57% said they do it “sometimes” or “often.”
- Over 1/3 of drivers (37%) have sent or received text messages while driving, and 18% said they do it regularly.
- Forty-one percent of adult drivers have set or changed a GPS system while driving, and 21% do it “more frequently.”
- Many adult drivers (36%) have read a map while driving, and 10% do it “sometimes” or “often.”
- One in five drivers have combed or styled his or her hair while driving. One in ten does it regularly.
- Have you ever seen a driver putting on makeup? Approximately 14% have done it once, and 7% do it frequently.
- About 13% of adult drivers have surfed the Internet while driving.
- Results of the poll showed that younger drivers were more likely to engage in distracted driving. Men were more likely to drive while drowsy, drive after drinking, read a map, use a GPS system, and use the Internet.
- A large percentage of the people said they know distracted driving is dangerous, but do it anyway.
Texting While Driving Statistics
- About 6,000 deaths and a half a million injuries are caused by distracted drivers every year.
- While teenagers are texting, they spend about 10 percent of the time outside the driving lane they’re supposed to be in.
- Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver’s reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
- Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. That is enough time to travel the length of a football field.
Does that seem dangerous to you? It does to me and hopefully it will begin to kick in one of these days without you being dead or going to jail because you do go to jail and do the time by killing someone because you were texting while driving.
Just stop texting and driving and the roads will be more safe.